Thursday, September 22, 2011

On the Fringe of Fringe

As a self-proclaimed geek and having often been regarded as someone holding a high office within that establishment I'm ashamed to say I've never watched Fringe. I remember a lot of noise being made at the end of one season (see how little I know) when there was a bunch of comics seen from an alternate reality that were slightly different to the ones we know and love. At the time I thought “Huh, that's pretty cool. I should probably watch that.” Yet I still didn't get off my arse and bother.

To be fair I've done my 24 and Chuck marathons, plus Supernatural while I was on break from here. When Smith started moaning at me for not watching it I thought it was about time I pulled my finger out and with the big move I've got a lot more time on my hands so I decided to see what the fuss was all about. Boy, I should have gotten round to this sooner.


Now I'm only nearly done with season 1, and Mr Smith is lending me seasons 2 and 3 when he visits next month so you'll have to pardon my ignorance, but this is bloody good stuff. I immediately loved Walter, because who doesn't love a mad scientist who's loosing his mind. The random comments he just comes out with from nowhere never cease to get a giggle from me. Though the “I've realised two things” joke did get old pretty fast.

Peter is also an instant like for me. Partly because his know-it-all smart ass schtick without being overly cocky have always been favourites of mine. The other is that it's Joshua Jackson, who I've liked ever since *cough*Dawon's Creek*cough* (shut up! I was young!). The hints about his history, not just his dodgy criminal one but also the truth about him and Walter are laid early and left to run in the viewer's mind work great. I have my own theory, but since it's probably already been answered I'll keep quiet rather than embarrassing myself.

Olivia on the other hand, didn't seem that intriguing. It was extremely cool that she could handle herself, probably the best in the entire series, and on the rare occasion she was captured she'd be the one to get herself out of it rather than just be another damsel in distress. However, it didn't seem like the character had much depth to her except to be the straight man (sorry, woman) in the relationship and drive the investigation for the FBI. Then in the second half of the season things really start to change and suddenly she's as interesting, if not more so, than the other two leads.

The whole multiverse angle is still in its early stages at this point so apart from waiting to see some comic book covers I'm not really sure what to make of it all, but I'm having a lot of damn fun finding out.

And when the hell do I get to meet William Bell?

No comments: